Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Cry for Color


It wasn't so long ago - or maybe it was - that my house cried out to me for more color. When it was first built, I had some colors painted on the wall that I truly liked (in my other house). Well in this house the color looked gray and grayer and it didn't impress me the way I thought it should or would.






Now, 7 years after building it, I've finally decided on a color. The decision actually came when we remodeled the bathroom. (It's been 7 years! What remodeling could the bathroom really need?) Well that's a whole other story. Anyway, in remodeling the bathroom, I decided on a color to match the tile we had installed and that led me to decide on a color for the rest of the house.


Well, now it's finally getting there. I'm not rushing this project at all and do it mostly on weekends or when I have the time. It's the peaks of the cathedral ceilings that are the bugger. To do those, I had to enlist the help of Husband. He did a really good job too.
I've always hated Husband picking up a paint brush in my house (my toy) because he had a tendency to kind of "slop" the paint on and it did horrible things to my sensibilities. But with these peaks, so high and near the clouds, I had no choice and he actually took his time and did a really good job. Hats off to Bob.


Now my house has color. Lots of color. I went with a Southwestern theme, not intentionally but that's just how it worked out. The ceilings are still the original color and that was actually what dictated what the rest of the house would be. The color is neutral, but a bit darker than my regular pallet, but it is just so lovely! Everything matches it nicely and I think all my accents stand out against.
There is one more peaked wall to paint and after that all peaks will be painted. All that will be left are the private areas of the house. Although, both bathrooms are painted and both halls. The next thing will be the master closet. I have already enlisted Husband to build the closet organizer (Another thing I was voted against when the house was built). So I must prepare it for this undertaking.
My guess is that we have about 20 years to get this place finished before we have to sell it. Who knows, maybe one of the granddaughters will inherit it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, all you need now is some artwork. hint, hint. :-)

I love watching you redecorate. My house I'm sure could use colour but I refuse to do it. I like my browns and country blue with a tad bit of cream tossed in. I'll leave the colour to others.

Austin

JBelle said...

Julie, I love your new colors! It reinvigorates the whole place.yuuuuuuum.