Sunday, April 03, 2011

Garden thoughts

After showing you this gorgeous picture of Longwood Gardens weeping hemlock, I must show you mine... This little on is about hip high and has been in the ground close to 5 years now. It's average growth is about 1/4" a year and at this rate it should take about 200 years to look like the one at Longwood. I do have this one a bit close to my well, but at it's growth rate, I'm in no big hurry to move it. I figure the well will be long gone before the tree gets big enough to interfer with it.
My new and improved west garden bed. After we discovered that the forthsytia had a gull disease, we had them dug out and transplanted the area with other plants, most of which were planted last fall. I don't usually like planting in the fall because of the severe artic winds we get here, many plants that haven't had a chance to establish a root system will usually die. To make matters worse, the Douglas fir was a problem for the nursery man to get it dug. I'm watching this tree closely and making sure it gets plenty of water and fertilizer this year to keep it going. I'll know soon if this tree has made it or if it is a goner. There is some die back on it, but also there's some on the blue spruce as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: