Saturday, August 18, 2012

An Unusual Butterfly


For the past six weeks, I've been pretty much laid up with a bum knee.  I twisted it somehow and am only now able to be on it.  I was out in the garden today and found a beautiful unusual butterfly there that just screamed to have it's picture taken.  It is an Acadian  Hairstreak.  According to information I could find on it, even though it is within it's range, we are at nearly the lowest end of it's regions. 

http://enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?shapeID=978&curGroupID=2&lgfromWhere=&curPageNum=24

I also understand from reading about this beautiful butterfly that the willow is a host plant for it.  I've never seen this stunning butterfly in my garden before and am glad that I have all the elements it needs to live here.

Nature never ceases to amaze me.

1 comment:

Donna Smith said...

Love reading your blogs. I also had a vistor this year I have not seen before, But I was on my way to work and didn't even think to take a picture. It was a beautiful Black Moth or butterfly, with bright yellow edging. It had the shape of the larger moth's is why I think it was a type of Moth