Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Last Week of August




This is the last week of August and I have one week to get the garden together before the start of September. Why??? I've spent the last five days, deciding on which party when. Right now, I have two major garden parties planned for September and a baby shower. There are still arrangements to make for two other parties. So, I'm busy.
I have one week to get ready for the first party. But with working, I find that I don't have a lot of time to get the garden ready. Husband has been doing his part. Today he edged all the garden beds. That was enough believe me.
Well, I still have a week and even if I don't get everything done, i.e. the rose in the very front of the house by a storm drain was struck by lightening over the weekend and is still there. I don't have the heart to send it on to heaven as it appears right now to be growing strongly and is actually getting ready to bloom! I'll allow it this time left to it. I'm sure the winter will finally take it and next spring I will dig it out for compost. The mint sprig I planted last year has gone crazy this year and moved into my Bayse's Purple rose that is trying to get started as well as my poor wild indigo. I am not happy about this and have already started to cut the stuff down, after which I will take a shovel to it. Bees, lots of bees love this stuff so I have to do this right at dusk so as not to get stung. There is also some other nasty weeds that need to find heaven. Mostly though, about an hour a day after work and the garden will look quite good. The weeds that are there are large and easy to see and pull. We've had enough rain here to keep the soil moist for now.
I also have to start planning my menu. Oh, my, that truly depends on what the weather is forecasted to be. If it rains, the dinner will be inside. If it doesn't, the dinner will be a garden party. I have a firepit that I will light, as well as a chimena that will also be lit. Then there are several Tiki torches around the deck and patio. All smoke nicely and will keep the bugs away. They'll also keep the hummingbirds away. They can be little devils, scrapping with each other and ending up on your dinner plate. No kidding! A pair of them were so busy scrapping that they both fell onto my dinner plate as I sat at the patio table eating. All three of us just sat there a moment and stared at each other. The tiny birds got their wits back and off they flew, buzzing right past my ear. But it would be nice to have this thing outside. My deck is so private now that the wisteria has grown in.
Starting next year, I'll be putting pots of bogonias out in the alcove on the deck beneath the wisteria. That spot has finally grown in and is now ready for my lovely, shade loving bogonias. It's so pleasant out there now. Eventually the patio will be the same way. I have a lovely yew that will afford privacy as it grows near the entry to the patio and a dragon holly that will provide shelter from the neighbors as well as the west winds. Both plants are slow growers, so that won't happen for a few years.
It will be nice having parties in my lovely garden. I won't be ready for winter this year, I'm sure. I want summer to stay.

No comments: