Saturday, April 12, 2008

The coming of color

Flowering Quince
Jonquills
Service Berry

Species Tulip
Yellow Daffodils

Star Magnolia Tree
Snowfountain Cherry

Bloodroot
It's nice seeing color begin to emerge in my garden. Winters are cold and gray here and this brings warmth and sunshine. The tiniest of wild flowers are pushing up now and this bloodroot is quite happy. The colony is becoming larger and more vivid with each year. I started a second colony in the same area and hope that it too shows me the same vigor.
My plant orders have now started to arrive as well. Most of them, that are bare root, bulbs or rhizomes go into the ground right away, while plants that are actually growing will be hardened off before being planted in the garden.

1 comment:

Ki said...

Hi Julie,
You have the same lovely quince we have! I love that shrub and think it's nicer than the all red flowered ones. Lovely magnolia stellata and wow lots of blood root. I hope ours will bloom as prolificly.