Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Newest Member of the Family


This is Tootsie, the newest family member. Just look at that face! This is how I was looked at every time I visited the animal shelter. I've never been fond of the diluted calico or torties because I thought they looked muddy. But as you can see, she is more vibrant than most with her shimmering white. But it was her personality that won me over. She's been with us since Thursday and is now beginning to relax. She is such a lover and wants attention and to be petted...a lap cat to be sure. Now to get Shalimar used to her. So far, Shalimar has done her hissing but hasn't been aggressive. I will put Tootsie in Bratley's carry crate and allow Shalimar into the room to meet her. Tootsie is being kept in the family room until she sees a vet on Monday. Once I've been told she has a clean bill of health, I'll be gin switching the cats for an hour at a time to get Shalimar used to her smell and give Tootsie a chance to explore the house. The only problem with switching the cats is that Tootsie won't be satisfied with just in the family room any more and will want out all the time. Today, she tried to follow me out. She's starting to feel much more relaxed and is beginning to be anxious to be a part of the family. But the animals need a little more time. Bratley already met her, but she's not sure about him yet. He's fine with her though. Shalimar is more difficult. It's only been two days. For some cats it may take two months. I certainly hope not.

Because Tootsie is such a lap cat, I find myself drawn into the family room to watch TV and stroke her while she purrs. Chloe was like that and I wasn't aware of how much I missed that. Shalimar isn't cuddly but shows her love in a different way. I hope they get along soon. I'm anxious to get Tootsie acclimated into the family. Shalimar is definitely interested.

4 comments:

M. Domínguez Senra said...

It seems that it will take only one week or ten days more. Tootsie is really lovely.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to leave this comment over here but I keep getting distracted.

What a sweety pie. I don't know that I'm too partial to torties. I like their colouring but not the attitude problems. I like the solid black cats the most I think.

There is no way on earth I could bring another cat in here, not with Bella (who reminds me of your beautiful Shalimar) but Bella won't let me hold her :-( She's a lap cat but not a hold me cat.

Did you name her Tootsie or was that already her name?

Special request: photos of Bratley.

Austin

JBelle said...

oh! oh! oh! what a love. I am so glad you brought her home. Pictures, I will want lots and lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

how is the little one doing with the rest of the fur babies?

Austin