Saturday, July 12, 2008

Some Daylilies


Pink Hollyhock. I have no idea where this plant came from. I certainly didn't plant it.



Yellow Hollyhock. Another hollyhock tat was never planted.

Daylilies...
Joan Senior



Little Girl


Lori Goldston



Wineberry Candy



Another pink Hollyhock.


Big Purple



Cotillian



Crimson Pirate


Drawf Double Pink



Indian Giver


These are really just a few of them. The others either weren't open yet of the flowers were spent. There are also two mix breed varieties that have begun to grow. I call these Julie's specials 1 and 2.


I had a rather difficult time getting the picture of the Big Purple because I kept being attacked by a smallish bird. Then I saw why...
A baby Orchard Oriole.
I think there's still one in the nest, but it's hard to tell. The nest is very similiar to every other oriole, but it's in a dense tree and hard to see. This little one fledged early this morning and now seems to have pretty good control of his wings. This is a good thing because in a couple of weeks, he must make a very long trip to Brazil with his parents and other siblings. I'll be sorry to see them go. They are such pretty birds and decorated my backyard nicely. I can only hope that they will return next year.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daylily has the same name in Spanish ("lirio del día") and I've read in the Wikipedia that the scientific name is *Hemerocallis ("Good morning" in greek).
*
I'm sure that the oriols will come back next year.

Carla said...

Lovely flowers. I too have some Hollyhocks growing in the oddest places with no idea as to how they got there.