Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Gifts



I received a beautiful card and note in the mail from a dear friend yesterday. I love receiving mail from friends and family, not just for special occasions, but anytime such as this one. I feel closer to friends and family when I get these. Email is nice, but the cards are something you can touch, feel, rub your fingers over and linger for as long as you want. You can hide them away, as I do, in a cedar chest for safe keeping just to get them out every now and again to muse over the relationship since it's beginnings; to watch how it's grown over the years.

Knowing this friend, the card itself is an older one having a copywrite date on it of 1935. But the card looks in pristine condition. Inside is a beautiful poem from a favorite book and a hand written note. Even the envelope is a gift with it's decorative stamps. There's always to much postage on it, but if you look closely at the stamps, one of them is probably as old as this card. All this makes getting these small gifts very precious.

Thankyou, my dear friend, for thinking of me.

4 comments:

JBelle said...

It's gorgeous!

Austin of Sundrip said...

That is really neat. I like antiques. I collect antique Bibles. My oldest is from 1891. It’s in pretty good condition. I bought it for 2 bucks at a garage sale. And I have a dirt old book w/ no date in it that I run my fingers across from time to time. You’re right, there is nothing like touching a memory. Emails are nice but they lack the level of personal connection one gets with a card they can hold.

Anonymous said...

I agree that there is something about being old fashion in a modern world that is a nice touch.

The quilt is gorgeous. But I could not tell if the quilt is a picture of the front of the card and just a beautiful quilt.

It's fun having friends that care and it is nice that you have a couple that you can appreciate every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Opps, forgot to tell you the previous post was from TEK.