Saturday, September 23, 2006

Playing Hookie


Charles de Mills ~ Hybrid Gallica, introduced before 1746, dark red to purple depending on the light, rated 8.4 in the garden out of a possible 10, once blooming, extremely fragrant. This is a smallish bush only reaching about 5 feet tall. I have found that the canes like to droop and it's easy to peg this plant for a better flush. It will tolerate some shade and still do well. The biggest downfall of this bush is it, as do all Gallicas, blooms only once a year. It's bloom cycle is a long one however. It also doesn't last as long in a vase as the Hybrid Teas, but one bush will give you enough flowers to keep your vases full for the duration of the blooming cycle. And every bloom is perfect or near perfect. It isn't affected much by disease or insects. After all, it's been in gardens for about 300 years, so there has to be something about this rose.

This morning was to be a rose meeting. I usually try to go to these, especially when someone hosts them, which is usually the case. And even though this was the case this morning, I found it just to hard to move this morning. It's time for a break, I think.

I'm still adjusting to my new position and jobs. I really like the dayside shift much better than the night shift, but it is proving to be more of an adjustment than I was thinking. The work is somewhat different, though the same if you can understand what I mean. Except for the typing jobs, it's the same work as before but from a different viewpoint. Folks had been asking me what I think of it and I've been answering them honestly. I like the work, the position, but at the same time feel a little isolated because of where I am. Yesterday was a little different. The girl I usually type with was out for the day and I had a lot of visitors and got involved in a lot of conversation. Of course, the day was much lighter than the rest of the week, or the other weeks as well. It's just adjusting but it can still wear me down.

Still, I need a trip to the salon for a good neck massage and I decided to stay home this morning instead of visiting the group. Besides, I have a lot to do this weekend. I need to take care of some business, clean the house and get ready for a big party for family tomorrow. I will put a trip to the salon for the first available time I have, right around my birthday. My neck is very stiff. It's stress. It'll ease when I start to get used to my new job but who knows when that'll be. Hopefully soon.

In the meantime, I have a ton of stuff to do here.

No comments: