Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Vacation


It was the last day of an extended vacation. The vacation had been nice, quiet and much needed. With all the stuff going on at work and all the changes, it was nice to be able to get away from it for awhile.
We decided to go to the Safe Harbor dam for a day of hiking and picture taking. Well, that wasn't to be, I suppose. It started out really fine, a nice day, some lovely paths and areas that were new and waiting to be discovered.

It wasn't long, however, before the bifocals in my glasses ruined the day for us. They distorted a curb I was on and I fell, head first onto a bridge that crossed the Conestoga River. What a mess! I had a nice gash on my forehead and my knees, elbows and wrist were banged up nicely. I'm healing nicely now. The pictures above are of (1) the purple cherry tree in my back yard. The foliage is wonderful this time of year. (2) The Susquehanna River. This river is a mile wide in spots and the current is treacherous. (3) The Safe Harbor Dam. We discovered this dam to be only about 2 minutes from my home. (4) The Conestoga River at Safe Harbor and (5) The mouth of the Conestoga River where it empties into the Susquehanna. Everything in this area is virgin except where they cut the train track through and built the dam. Most of this area is owned by the electric company and kept natural. It is truly a lovely spot.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Sorry to hear of your spill. I'm approaching that age where my eyes are changing too. Is that what I have to look forward to? (No pun intended)

The pictures are very nice. It has been YEARS since I was in that area hiking. Wanda and I took a bike ride through a nature preserve on Sunday and the foliage was very nice.

Julie said...

Dave, it's not so bad. If you have the glasses for reading, use them for that. I knew better but wasn't thinking.

This is a more common problem than I ever thought, however.

We love the hiking around here.