Friday, July 13, 2007

The Continuing Saga



Well, the bathroom remodel started off on the wrong foot. Our handyman, Meryl, caught us so off guard the first day and had my already overwhelmed husband in a total tizzy. I got home from work that day just in time to avert a potential mess. I came within a hair of throwing Meryl out of my house. But I didn't.

Three days later he was back again to work on the job he had started. I didn't have to report to work until later in the morning and had a chance to chat with him some. We discussed a few things like how he was going to approach this particular job and with that understanding, I ran off to the workplace.

He's been back several times since then to continue working on the demo of the closet that will become a shower room and we've been doing a lot better. Husband figured out that he should keep himself busy and away from Meryl who does a rather good job when he's not bothered. His demo and prep work is almost complete now. We are expecting the mason's to arrive within the next week or two when the tile comes in. We're also waiting on the picture window that will be installed over the whirlpool tub. Once everything is here, the bathroom should come together rather quickly.

The tile I picked out is a light cream with a gray swirl going through it. It has a lovely embossed taupe decorative tile that will also be used around the shower and the tub. Then there are lovely "buttons" of the same cream/gray with a nice Fleur in the taupe and a light turquoise to break up the tiles. I'm getting eight of those.

I'm planning on stealing away with one of the tiles while the mason's are installing it to select paint for the bathroom. I'll be the painter. I have some eggshell paint that is the current wall color and I will keep that for the ceiling. Even the ceiling inside the shower will get this paint. As far as the walls -- I've not yet decided. I'm thinking of something like a faux stone look for the bathroom. We're also planning on ceramic tile on the floor in the future. But that is something easily done by the homeowners. I've also see a lovely idea of stencil around the picture window and maybe the side window as well.

Since my colors in the master's suite is a cream/taupe with splashes of plumb and hunter green, I'm think a nice grape arbor stencil around the windows and mirrors would be wonderful. It will be decorated with ferns and other moisture loving plants at the picture window and the shelf that opens at the top of the shower.

I'm figuring this will take the rest of the summer. But it'll be nice when it's done. I can hardly wait. In the meantime, I'm using the spare bathroom and it's just so small compared to the master.

No comments: