Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Housing Slump




With the housing market beginning to slump, of course, I've decided that keeping my house up-to-date is more important right now that thinking about selling (no, I'm not nuts. I love this place). So, the bathroom project is moving along. There isn't much more expensive stuff I want to do once this is done. This is the bathroom that I wanted from the start and am finally getting it.

My whirlpool is being renovated. The shower head is now gone and the plumbing has been refitted to make this just a tub. The ceramic surround matches the shower. There will be an oak molding that will go around the tub to tie in the oak surround and finish the look. The raised decorative border is a very important part of this design and the single stone with a pewter rose and edges in the center is a tile we found hidden behind other stuff at a tile place where we visited. This tile is a one-of-a-kind and I thought would be perfect for my bathroom. It is in the center of the picture window that will overlook the mountain,if that window ever comes! We're now looking at about 20 days backordered. The oak trim pieces will go on early next week. Husband will be putting that on and got the adhevsive he will need from our tiler.

Once a 5x5 walk-in closet that wasn't used in 5 years, this is now a custom shower that really adds to the bathroom. Other than the plumbing fixtures, a grab bar and a glass shelf that will not be seen until you are actually in the shower, and of course, the door, it is basically finished. Some baseboard will need replaced and the painting done, but it shouldn't be long before I get to use my bathroom again.

My luxury bathroom is starting to come together. I think it's really quite nice. I can hardly wait to use that shower!! Did I tell you this will add about 125% of it's cost to the value of my home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The shower is separate from the bath tub? Luxury! That's so cool you found a rose on the tile. This is already pretty. I can't wait to see it finished....but I do have to say a walk in closet unused is just wrong. If your walk in closet was sitting there unused (wrong in so many ways) then heck yeah, make a luxury bath out of it.

When I build my dream home my toilet bowl will be separate from the tub and shower. I've always hated those two in the same room but you let me build my dream home and that's how it'll be.

Austin