Saturday, September 15, 2007

All Partied Out



This little rose looks like Cherries Jubiliee, but I can't be sure. There was no name tag with it but it quite lovely and I do wish I knew the variety of it. I'd like to have it for my garden. That says a lot since I'm not much for striped roses.


This week was a week away from the job. Oh, I'd been planning things for some time for this week. It started out with a cocktail party at a neighbor's house. A very lovely evening was to be had. The following day, Sunday was a party with my family where we decided on some things that needed the attention of all of the siblings. Also, my sisters wanted to wander through the garden to see what I had planted there. It was another lovely day, but exhausting. Then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were days spent on repairs and finishing some projects.


Thursday, we had old friends over for dinner. Oh, what a lovely time we had. This particular friend was someone I'd lost touch with for many years. I think it was decided that we shouldn't lose touch again, because we immediately set a date for the next dinner party. Dinner, Thursday, was held out on the deck with Linda and I wandering around the garden for at least an hour before settling down to eat. Dinner lasted for about 3½ hours before we said our goodbyes until the next dinner, next month.


Friday was a trip up to Hershey Botanical Gardens on a camera run. We have a huge National photography contest coming up and we needed material to enter. I have a lot of roses in my garden, but none that I would want to enter, so we took this trip to Hershey Botanical Gardens to get some material. We took 124 photographs of roses, and going through them I've gotten a good number of possible entries. I was surprised to see that Hershey Botanical Gardens had raised their price of admission this year from $5 to $10.
I was impressed with their roses this year. Usually when we go, I find only one or two that I think I would like to have in the garden. This year was different. I don't know if they started spraying their roses, or if the dry year has been good to them, but those roses, all 2000 of them looked great! Husband and I were in agreement when we saw several that MUST be in the garden. We also got some great ideas for annual beds. Right now, though, I have some tulips and daffs that need planted and they will come first.
Friday was also the day that everything else happened. The contractor who had done our bathroom remodel for us came with the finishing touches. The repair man showed up with our lawn tractor that had been in the shop for service. It was a busy day.
Tomorrow, Sunday again, will be a party with the kids and the grandkids. This too, I'm sure, will be a wonderful party. But, I must say, after this, I'm going to be partied out for awhile. There is a lot of getting ready for entertaining and I'm quite tired.
Tuesdays will be back to the job. Maybe the next week off the job we'll go to Longwood Gardens. I'd been there only once this year and another trip is warranted. We'll go on a Tuesday when admission is discounted. Admission is a bit pricy at Longwood, but it is well worth it. The place is wonderful.

No comments: