Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Must Read

I have room for one more shade tree. I want this shade tree to be a special tree; a native tree; one that would envoke the company of the creatures that live in this area. I'm figuring it will be some time until I find the tree that I want for my back yard. In my search I found this:

http://www.elmpost.org/chestnut.htm

I saw this tree and almost cried. I've never seen one of these trees before, not in person anyway and the majesty of it even in the picture is awesome. It's the story of the species of tree that is so very sad. After knowing what I missed, dare I ask if we have learned from history? To have one of these majesties in my back yard would be an honor, though it be a dream. Maybe my grandchildren will be able to see these trees in their mature form again, but I won't. Even if scientists are able to develop this tree with disease resistance, I could never live long enough to see them come to their mature state. This made me sad for never being able to know something this beautiful and for the eco system that perished along with it.

This really strengthened my resolve to plant plants that belong around here. Beauty Berries instead of Butterfly Bushes and native trees rather than the imported ones from other lands. In my area there are lots of woods. No more chestnut trees, but I live in one of those pockets that weren't infected by the Dutch Elm disease and the elms grow nicely and strong around here. I planted a wisteria, native to Eastern US, rather than the Chinese or Japanese varieties. It's not as fragrant, large, nor are the flowers quite as showy, but it still has the effect desired. I really like the plant. I'm also taking my shade tree selections from the varieties I see in our woods; Elms, Ash, Poplar, Oak, Maple, Sycamore and Sassafrass.

This story is about a loss that this country will never be able to recoop from. To much has been lost. Now, we're desperately trying not to loose another very important part of our eco system. I hope this time we are successful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's important to put plants where they're suppose to be for the reasons states in the article. One has to think about the effects on the eco system above what they feel looks pretty or serves and immediate need. I think if a person has the means to transport and transplant then they should feel obligated to so so properly.

It's easy to see how devastating lack of knowledge can be as well as commercial greed. I strongly believe not just knowledge is needed to eradicate eco ignorance. We're going to have to start growing a conscience, one that doesn't allow devastation for profit.

I found out the other day that 1/5th of the worlds plants are in trouble due to global warming. That was a truly sad stat, truly sad. Plants that need warmth and dry areas are subjected to cool and wet and visa versa. It's threatening their existence.

Austin