Saturday, March 15, 2008

Today

Today was the Penn State Master Gardener's Symposium. Of all the functions I go to, this one is one of the best. This year we had speakers about naturalizing your garden with native plants and trees. There was a Continental breakfast and a catered lunch. I came home today with two lovely pansies, a day lily and a primrose. The two pansies were the table gifts (for the past two years we got lettuce). The day lily was a door prize and the primrose, I bought.

When I returned home, after feeding the dog and having a nice glass of wine, I ventured outside to do some work in the garden. In the past two days I've fertilized all the evergreens, started the pruning and begun moving plants with the help of Husband. During the week, he had cut down the grasses and pruned and shaped the willows and vitex. Yesterday we heavily pruned the butterfly bushes and beauty berry, moving the last butterfly bush to it's permanent home. It's a big thing so I hope it makes it. After that we decided to go out for dinner (moving that bush was a lot of work and it took both of us), then off to Costco where I found a pair of roses that I liked....Veteran's Honor and Dream Come True.

Today after my wine, I pruned down Pearl d'Or quite heavily and had Husband move that rose to it's new home. Another large plant but luckily not one of the most prickled ones. That's one less plant to have to think about moving. Now I will watch it to make sure it adjusts to it's new home well. Then, I dug up a dead rose that I knew wouldn't make it last year. There I planted the Veteran's Honor that hadn't yet broke dormancy. It should do quite fine there. I hope it does anyway. Veteran's Honor was a rose I've had on my must have list.

As long as I can get these plants moved before the break dormancy, they should be fine. Right now I think I'll make some dinner and call it a day.

No comments: