Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let's Talk About Paint

OK, now that summer has turned into autumn and the garden is on it's down side for the season, it is time to get ready for the winter projects that will help wile away the hours until spring. This winter, I'm planning on redecorating the bedroom.

"Oh, you say. But you've only been in that house for almost 7 years." Yes, this is true, however, when I first built this house the paint color was one I loved in another house. In this one, it looks drab and gray. It's also been almost 7 years since the 5 yr. carpet was put in and it really needs to come out! The carpet in my office smells like dirty dog and yes, I want it out of here!

So, we are now looking around to see what we can do and can't do with the master suite. I want that room done first since I spend a good deal time. Besides, I already have the new bedroom ensamble.

I have picked out the paint colors which involved two trips to the paint store for paint samples and chips. I think I've finally figured out which colors I want for the bedroom. Of course, the paint will be from a line of the Benjamin Moore paints. I tried the one from Lowe's and am so disappointed with it, I'm ready to give up on that paint completely. I don't care if it's half the price of Benjamin Moore. I have heard from friends that Home Depot's paint is even worse but I don't see how that could be. I guess it's just that if you've used Benjamin Moore once, you're spoiled on it. http://www.benjaminmore.com/ At least I am.

The biggest problem that I ran into is the fact that I have the house already painted in a Benjamin Moore color called Kitten Whiskers #1003 http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0005353. It is a an off white taupe and needed something that would blend seamlessly with this color since I was planning on keeping it on the ceilings where it is now. It has a touch of gray in it which makes the entire house look gray and I'm not really pleased with this color. Husband has already told me he wasn't painting the ceiling and because of a problem with my neck, I simply can't. So, I had to choose colors that would compliment my new bed ensamble http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?quantity=1&itemNumber=46660&type=Product Croscill Ashwin Comforter Set. I also got chocolate shimmer drapes to go with this and a valance to finish each window. I have to get the blinds that will probably be custom made from JCPenney and I need to find a chocolate door panel for the french door.

Anyway I regress. After three tries, I finally think I found the paint colors I like. I picked out a wall color called Broken Arrow #1026 http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0005378 and a trim color called Tucson Winds #1024 http://www.myperfectcolor.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=MPC0005376. Now, I have to decide what finish for each of these paints; Eggshell, Satin or Semi-gloss. That could be another three trips to the paint store. What I like about this paint store is, not only do they sell the paint that I like, they are very helpful with ideas and familiar with the types of paint. Right now I'm thinking Satin for the walls and Semi-gloss for the trim. But, I haven't purchased anything yet. I may change my mind again until I finally buy something.

No comments: