Tuesday, September 23, 2008

More On the Bedroom

Last year I had all this work done to the bathroom. Now, I want to finish the entire suite including the flooring, paint, trim, and closet. That's a lot of finishing.

I want to put up a crown molding in the bedroom and am seriously considering a wainscoting as well. I want to get new baseboard that is 6" high instead of 3½". There will be a new oak floor in the room as well. There's a problem with the floor. The flooring we put in the rest of the house is no longer available, so we will have to find another floor very similar. Finding the natural oak is easy, but the manufacturer no longer carries that type of floor. Right now I'm leaning toward a Bruce plank floor about the same thickness. My next time off the job, we'll be heading some distance away to Lumber Liquidators to see what flooring they have. Yes, this will turn into quite a search before we finally find what we are looking for. Then installation will have to wait until we have other time off the job.

I want tile flooring for the bathroom and a new vanity. Then the bathroom will be considered finished unless I decide I want to paint it again.

Last but not least, I want that bedroom closet redone. I want an organizer (a nice one) fitted in so that there is no mess or junked up floor. It is a beautiful, very large closet that is a mess right now. Husband is having a conniption right now because of the price of the organizers I'm looking at. This is my house and I want it the way I want it.

After all this, I want to finish the rest of the house, probably with the same paint colors. The girl at the paint store did give us an idea for the kitchen which will probably be done almost first. We want to color wash the one wall in there and the half wall under the bar. She said we could use our chosen colors to do this with just the cost of a glaze to mix in.

I'm excited about getting started on these projects.

4 comments:

M. Domínguez Senra said...

Every year I try to get a better flat by improving some details or instalations. That's a very good sign of evolution... I like oak furniture.
Best regards!

JBelle said...

wow! sounds like you are on a quest. can't wait to see the paint...

Julie said...

jbelle, I sure am! We do work on the house from time to time to put in the upgrades I didn't get when we built this place. Soon I'll have it the way I want it.

Actually, I had the walls and trim painted a color (kitten whiskers) when we built, but after seeing this favorite color in this house, I decided I didn't like it. Now it's time to change it. We want to finish the hardwood floors and we've already had a man in to give us an estimate on the crown molding. I was out to JCPenney today and ordered the blinds for the bedroom. I still haven't bought the paint.
The master suite is going to have a major overhaul. With the bathroom almost done, I want the rest of that wing to be just as elegant. The rest of the house will get the paint but the kitchen will get a washed glaze coat over it. Shalimar doesn't like the wallpaper and keeps ripping it off. But I do like the look so we'll use paint to get that old Tuscon look.

Julie said...

Marta, I try to do something every year too. My husband is a cabinet maker so that leads to a complete turn around when I want something new like kitchen cabinets. This year it sounds like a lot, but in the end, we'll do most of the work ourselves. I won't hire a painter (I didn't like the last one I hired) but will paint the walls and the trim myself.