Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More on Shalimar

It's been three weeks now and Shalimar is still sick.  She's been to the vet now three times as well as the pets emergency.  She still has horrible stifling sneezes and coughs almost constantly.  It is now time to think outside the box.

I read up on everything I could find about asthma in cats and found that she is having a severe asthma attack that even though the underlying infection is gone, her asthma has not eased with that.  This, apparently, isn't unusual.  So the question is, what to do about the asthma.  Steroids do work, but they will stress her already challenged immune system.  Besides, getting a pill down this cat's throat is almost impossible.  And fighting with her for 45 minutes stresses her out even more.

My niece sent me a book about alternative medicine for pets and I'm thinking this is worth a try.  The book that quotes several well known vets, had a chapter in it about asthma in cats and what might help.  So I'm going to try stabilized oxygen which is what is suggested.  I found some at the local GNC store and will add one drop into her tiny amount of canned cat food that I've been feeding her to help beef up her calories.

Shalimar has been due now for her annual vaccinations, but because she's been so sick, I've held off getting them.  If this works, I will take the bottle of stabilized oxygen along with me when we go for her annuals and I will then discuss this with my vet.  

My fingers are crossed.

1 comment:

M. Domínguez Senra said...

My fingers too.
Best regards.