Sunday, October 05, 2008

What Kind of Emergency Room is this???

It started last evening around 5PM. I noticed that Shalimar seemed to have the hiccups. She gets the hiccups a lot, having to do with her asthma. However, this time they didn't go away in the few minutes they usually do. I began to worry.

This morning, she still had the hiccups and now she could neither eat or drink. The more she moved, the worse they became. By 8am, I simply became scared and decided to take her to the pet emergency. She fought me horribly as I tried to put her in the crate. She seemed strong, but I was afraid that if I left this go, it could get worse and if she became to weak, she may not be able to rebound. So off we went to the emergency.

We were there for three hours. They gave her the works...blood, X-rays, the entire nine yards. They told me her asthma was constricting her breathing, but that she also seemed to have an infection too. They put her on an asthma control as well as an antibiotic and sent her home with a hefty price tag. It seems that pet emergency hospitals are just as expensive as people hospitals without the benefit of insurance. I'll try not to take her back there. Besides, it's just to far away.

Now, she's acting like a little snit. She ran under the bed when we got home and hasn't come out yet. Well, if that's how she wants it. Of course, Tootsie is worried and keeps going into the bedroom to stare at her from across the room. I figure when she gets hungry enough and thirsty enough, she'll come out. But here's the problem. I need to give her medicine this evening and if she stays under the bed, it will be nearly impossible to get her out.

She is still sounding not right, though the "hiccups" do seem to be less. I will be taking her to my vet tomorrow. Oh, she's going to LOVE that! But what must be done, must be done. At least the emergency clipped her nails so she wouldn't nail them. They did tell me she was sporting daggers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor little one, my goodness.
I can just see Tootsie looking at her from across the room, not getting too close but still trying to figure out what's going on. They get so scared... poor little things.

give them both a soft pet for me
smiles to you and yours,
Austin