Saturday, May 15, 2010

Early Spring and Sinus Infection


Shenck's Ferry Columbine. I found this little pretty at the Penn State Wildflower sale last year. I couldn't resist it since I live less than a mile from Shenck's Ferry Wildflower preserve. It is a really pretty columbine and seems to be quite happy under the locust tree among the giant hosta.
Other wildflowers I got there but not shown here are the little purple wild violets. I had bought six of them three years ago and they are colonizing the entire front bed, making a very lovely purple and blue ground cover. I do have to admit to being very happy with the wildflower I've gotten there.
We are having an early spring here. It is the beginning of May and the roses are in bloom! They are about 3 weeks early this year. As long as we can beat the Thrips, I'll be happy. There is blackspot every where though.

Leonie Lamesch, Polyantha. This little rose I got hoping it would turn into another Marie Pavie only in red rather than white/pink. The bush didn't get nearly as big, but this year is very exquisitely lovely covered in the flowers that first drew my attention to it. Such a beautiful little rose.


Hot Tamale, Miniature. This is an absolutely stunning vermilion red with yellow reverses. A smaller rose to maybe ½" across but the color is eyecatching. That plus the fact that it is continuously in bloom makes it a winner in my garden. It's sport, Ruby Baby is also in my garden but now shown. Ruby Baby is a slightly deeper red and without the yellow reverse. Still, everything else about the tiny rose is the same. Both command attention here.




Climbing Rainbow's End, Climbing Miniature. Just like it's parent plant, Climbing Rainbow's End is becoming a very stunning little rose on a very large plant. The flower usually ½" across is mostly yellow with the red edges, blooms constantly and climbs up the laundry poles very nicely. I really don't expect it to get as large as some of the full sized climbing roses, but it doesn't have to where I keep it. I have two of these (2 laundry poles) and they both seem to be quite happy there.



City of York, Large Flowering Climber. The fragrance of this climber will totally knock your socks off. I was sold on this rose the first moment I smelled it. Apparently there has been some trouble with the propagating of this rose the past couple of years because I've not been able to get a second one. This one is now big enough to take cuttings and make my own. I'll be doing that this year.



Blue Barlow Columbine. An old world looking columbine, this double is a very sweet little plant. I had gotten three of them about five years ago. Now I have the popping up just about everywhere. That's OK though. They are so pretty I let them naturalize. They don't seem to be so prolific that they would take over every thing, but they do fill in nicely.
It's nice having such a beautiful spring this year. I simply can't enjoy it enough.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie

I will be in the City of York UK next weekend for a conference

I am the newsletter editor for a Disability Association

I would like to use City of York Rose picture on the front page of the conference newsletter

Do you have copyright for the photo + can I use it?

Cheers

Bob
North Wales

Julie said...

Bob of North Wales, I will often charge for the use of my photos for a one-time use (not to much though). There are exceptions at times. Do you really want the one on this post? I have more. Send me a link or email where I can reach you.

Julie