Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Great Seed Production


Today was the day for the Heirloom Seed Festival at the Landis Valley Museum. We go there every year to get young plants for the garden, especially herbs and tomatoes, all of various varieties of heirlooms. I enjoy the heirlooms better than the more common varieties that are sold in nurseries and garden centers because the older varieties were bred and raised for taste rather than diseas resistance.

This is a huge event that happens every year, the Friday and Saturday before Mother's Day. Normally by then the weather here is warm and usually sunny. This year, it was cold, windy but at least not raining.


For entertainment, they had a harp player who was really quite good. Husband thought she reminded him of one of the Celtic Women and I have to agree. Her choice in music as well as her look made me think of them too. She was selling CDs.



A woman checking the plants at one of the many vendors. I will usually check the tent first, then visit the rose lady in the event that she has any varieties (all from the late 1800s to early 1900s, usually once bloomers) that I might be interested in and today made a bee-line to the hosta man for a hosta I knew I wanted - blue mouse ears. I had a feeling the hosta guy would have what I was looking for and he did. There I got Blue Mouse Ears for my miniature hosta bed under the large oak and I also got a June hosta for under the Fringe tree (when it grows up).



At the entrance to the museum, there were a couple of vendors who had products other than heirloom plants and a pet sitter. Since pets weren't allowed into the museum, the pet sitters watched after pets who came with their owners. This way they weren't left in overheated cars to wait for their owners.



Besides having a pet sitter, the project also has a plant sitter where you can deposit your purchases and they will be tended to and watched over by folks until you are finished with your shopping and visiting and are ready to leave.

The Heirloom Seed Project is something that the Landis Valley Museum does to help keep and maintain the wonderful varieties of vegetables and herbs of years past. Many of these vegetables and herbs would be lost because many large plant nurseries will sell plants that are known to be heavy producers. Usually when you gain something like larger tomatoes, you lose something else - taste, fragrance or something that can be missed. In tomatoes, herbs or other vegetables it might be taste. In roses and flowers it would be fragrance.
I like the heirloom varieties of vegetables. This is also where I was introduced to the herb, Lovage. Not being a fan of the texture of celery, but loving the taste, this herb helps me get the best of celery without the parts I don't like.
Besides all the vendors and the Market Place, the entire museum is open for folks to enjoy. The little town has a museum, store, inn, several houses and barn where there are cattle, oxen, horses and other animals, a gun smith, post office and more. All the attendents are dressed in period clothing. The church now has displays of items of period as well as a documentary film of the Pennsylvania Germans and their symbols and beliefs. It is a wonderful place to visit and learn about the remarkable history of Pennsylvania.
Even though the wind really took the energy out of you, it was a nice day. For lunch was pulled pork sandwiches and of course the most yummy chicken corn noodle soup on the face of this earth. I can never go there without getting that soup for lunch.







1 comment:

Belinda ... said...

That all looked like so much fun! I want to start a garden soon myself. You have a Lovely blog !