Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Rose Society meeting



Pearl Palace ~ Listed as a miniflora but probably more like a floribunda in size and shape. It is disease prone and the blooms have a tendency to burn in the sun, but it is a strong rose and does well for me.

Today was the meeting of the rose society that I belong to. I had been asked in February if Husband and I would do a presentation on photographing roses for the club. Between me being sick, Husband getting his hand caught in the press at work and later sick as I was (I gave him the viruses) and trying to put together the materials and money to start the patio, it was hard to get a presentation together. But one day we actually did sit down to discuss what we would talk about and I put it together in it's final stages last night during a slow period at work. I think I threw Husband a little when I started talking today because at the last minute I had gotten the latest issue of the American Rose and broke into the presentation with a discussion of the pictures in that magazine. I prompted Husband to jump right in and the presentation turned into a question and answers on photographing gardens and roses/flowers. I had taken along two of my cameras to demonstrate the differences in the cameras and which type of camera we would recommend. I didn't realize that there was a professional photographer in the group but he only backed up everything we were saying. It was a very fast hour with everyone getting involved. There wasn't one yawn in the entire group as well as the discussion going on far longer than I could have hoped. It went very well.

Later, the president approached us and asked us if we would consider giving a hands-on class at the meeting at his house in July. Everyone who attends is to bring their camera and we will all practice taking pictures of his roses so folks can get a better understanding of what is a good shot and a bad one and how to get the good ones. This leads to the next thing that was asked of us. We are to put together a photo contest for the York Area Rose Society, getting a plan for categories and rose classes for the year 2007.

Today was a good meeting to do all this because it's been rainy here and there was a large attendance. Husband said to me later, "I thought there would only be about eight." My response was, "That's about the usual number of folks who attend." It was a good day.

However, when I got home, I was disappointed that the rose I was to get Friday hadn't come yet. On the UPS website they have it marked as being delivered 2:25 pm Friday. At that time I did see the UPS truck out front, but the driveway was blocked with the delivery for the patio and UPS just seemed to drive by. I remember looking at the clock when I saw the UPS truck out front. I never got my rose. So, my guess is that I will have to call the company I ordered it from and tell them the situation. They will follow up with UPS to locate it. This rose is Sharifa Asma, the favorite rose of a close friend who passed away this February. I ordered it in his memory so I am quite upset that UPS screwed up this order.

It has been raining pretty steady all day here. I spent the rest of the day resting and catching up on sleep, reading and taking it easy. Even dinner was the wonderful turkey dinner the fire hall serves up this time of year. The fire hall has three dinners like this throughout the summer. The turkey, today, then later there will be a ham dinner and a roast beef dinner. Comfort food all the way around!! I don't think we've missed one yet. If you eat at the fire hall, it's all you can eat. If you get take-home, there's enough in each meal container to feed about 2 1/2 people. They feed you well. The local cub scout troop is there to make sure you get your order and it's fun to watch the kids trying so diligently to make sure you are satified.

It was a good, quiet day.

No comments: