Thursday, April 13, 2006

Some Things...



...are just worth waiting for. This little woodland wildflower was planted in this spot four years ago. I just wandered outside yesterday to see what was going on in the front flower bed on the other side of the magnolia. In front of the house there I have a number of wildflower cultivars, mostly started from root stock such as this little bloodroot. I hadn't seen this little plant in years and feared it's demise, but there it was with not just one flower, but two! Not only that, but there were three other young shoots coming up close to the mother plant. I almost missed it's pretty flowers. This particular plant is a native of the area but I've never seen one in the wild. They seem even less rare than the Virginia bluebells which I also have growing in the same bed. They aren't in bloom yet but are pushing buds nicely. When both these plants are done with their flowering, they will quietly go back into dormancy until next year. The Virginia bluebells are also spreading with the same slowness as the bloodroot. I just have more of them.


A picture of the magnolia through the screened window. Also in this picture is a pretty Warbling Vireo, a bird I'd never encountered until we moved here. He and his mate have a nest just above the front door of my home and he sits in this tree as a sentry over the family. This bird is extremely shy and will fly away at any movement, so to get this shot took time and effort. I will address the fussiness with the RAW photo that I have in the computer and see if I can't bring him up any more than this.

There is a beautiful breeze blowing in from the open window by my computer. The sun is shinning and the day calls me outside.

1 comment:

Austin of Sundrip said...

I like that picture. the screen gives it a different type of mood. i like it a lot.

Austin