Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Work Begins


As I sit here it almost sounds as if the toads are right at the my office window. They must be close as the window is closed.

Today we started the patio. We had spent our time healing and gathering the materials we were going to need to do this project. We got a total of 5 1/2 tons of 1" stone to finish the 6 tons that was put in the hole last year when we had it dug. We got the 24"x24" pavers delivered as well as enough sand to do this project. All this had been waiting for at least a week. We spent the past two to three weeks laying out the patio and making a form. When the materials came, we spent the past week putting in the stone, leveling it and getting it ready for the next step. Today Husband rented a compactor and we compacted the stone into a nice solid base. Tomorrow we start with the sand and the laying of the pavers.

Also today, as we were finished with the compactor and had returned it to the rental place, I noticed a bunch of cars in the driveway of the vacant house next door. I had heard some time ago that it was under contract but there were issues. The builders considered the property sold and it was totally vacated. There was one car and two SUVs crowded with people. One man, as he got out of one of the SUVs saw me watching and waved. I returned his wave. After a bit, he was outside with a handful of flags, so I introduced myself asking if he was the new owner. He was a pleasant fellow by the name of Frank; tall, lean athletic built; early 30ish. He introduced me to his lovely wife; lean, athletic and redhead. We chatted for a bit, both Husband who joined me when he heard me chatting and I were trying to get away so they could finish their inspection. It was hard though, since we seemed to have so much in common with these people. We work in the same field; we have passions for the same interests and conversation flowed. The entire family got involved and a party started. This young couple will come the end of May with their two Huskies. I gave them some hints and questions to ask at the settlement table. These were questions that they shouldn't have to ask but no information was ever given to them. I had watched this house being built and knew where the drainfield was, the well, the septics. All this is important if you have a passion for planting as they said they did.

It was a good day. Rain isn't expected until Wednesday so we have until then to get this patio together.

No comments: