Saturday, April 14, 2007

Native Flowers in bloom


Bloodroot, a native wildflower that is difficult to start. This one seemed dormant for at least two years. I simply forgot that I had planted it, or thought it died. Then, last year, it appeared out of the blue with two flowers! This year it seems much better, much larger and it has also moved from where it was last year. It is about 5 inches due east. I didn't move it. It makes me curious, though, as to where I'll find it next year. I'm just glad that it has decided to finally strut it's stuff. It is a deep shade wild flower and seems to really like it in the very moist soil up against the house with the snakeroot. The snakeroot is only now starting to poke it's lovely deep purple leave above the soil.



The rarely seen flowers of the native spice bush. This is the first time this bush has blossomed for me. Right now it's not quite waste high but will mature at 10'x10'. When a bird planted a malberry tree right beside it, I asked at the environmental center which would they move. They told me to get rid of the malberry. Difficult to transplant, this bush was given to me as a tiny stick by my friend, Sandy who has them growing in her woods. It prefers a little more shade but will get it as the tulip poplar grows.

No comments: