Saturday, June 02, 2007

After the rain



Taboo, Hybrid Tea introduced in 1993 and rated a rather low to medium 7.3 by the ARS. I have to agree that this rose is more difficult to grow but the blooms (the first nice ones in 4 years) are gorgeous. This is one of the deepest reds I've seen and would rival the very tender (zone 7 and above) Francis Dubruiel. I'm hoping to keep this one a few more years and try to start own-roots from it so I could have several of these, enough to make a nice vase. Put a little baby's breath with it and you will have a most glorious vase. More than once, this rose nearly died on me. It doesn't seem to like getting moved and I've had to move it several times until I found a spot where it did well. It took three years in this spot until it started to establish but now (right now) looks strong, disease resistant and quite lovely.

It rained yesterday, starting right before I left work and continued throughout the evening. There was thunder and lightening with the rain, but it wasn't as threatening as it can get and the rain, though heavy at times, was steady and soaking. Just what we needed for this spring. You can see everything drinking it up, first to recoop what the dry weather had taken from them and now to grow and replace all leaves that have been lost in the past month. I'm expecting to see everything in the garden growing like gangbusters in the next two days. Don'tja just love it!

The weather reports have been telling us about this rain for about a week, so I made sure the systemic was put around for food and bug control. I'm thankful for it. It was badly needed.

So this morning, though the sun is out and it promises to be a hot and steamy day, the dirt is far to wet to be playing in so I will make myself busy with strawberry jam. At least one batch, maybe two. I have plenty of strawberries and many more out there screaming to be picked.

No comments: