Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Rose Show Photo Contest


My rose society had our annual rose show and this year a photography contest. It does appear the the photo contest did stimulate a good deal of interest from the general public.

We had about 4 folks who entered the contest this year. The winnings were varied, but here's mine:

Honorable Mention: X-Rated, miniature, introduced in 1993. This is a nice little rose and was exceptionally nice for me this year. (Ribbon)










Third Place: Sweet Dream, Floribunda, introduced in 1988. This surprised me as I had always thought that Sweet Dream was a miniature. I had to change the class and status of this rose in my garden. It's a sound rose, with very small miniature sized leaves and blooms that resemble the miniflora (which is where I think this rose should be classed). (Ribbon)






2nd Place: Baronne Prévost, Hybrid Perpetual introduced in 1842. A very lovely, very BIG OGR with the most beautiful fragrance. It is a bit susceptible to black spot, but with a little care is strong and disease resistant throughout the growing season. (Ribbon)







1st Place: Soroptimist International, miniflora, introduced in 1995. A splendid miniflora that can be extremely good. It hold good form longer than most other miniatures and is a very bright and cheery color. (Ribbon)







Best White: Margaret Merril, Floribunda, introduced in 1977. When this rose is good it is really good! I usually have problems with thrips with this rose, often destroying the first flush of the season. A real headache for me. Thrips has got to be the one bug I seriously hate. Margaret also has problems with black spot, but this is easily controlled. Still, she is not a maintenance free rose, but I love her. (trophy award)




Best in Show: Rosa Eglanteria, species rose, introduction actually unknown, but somewhere before or around 1500. This fabulous rose is a show stopper when it's in bloom but it's the leaves and not the flowers that actually harbor the interest. The leaves when wet smell like Granny Smith apples, especially after a rain. When I first got it from a friend who was ill and wanted a good home for it, after a rain I'd walk outside and wonder who was baking the apple pie. In winter the plant still continues to shine with beautiful orange hips which the birds enjoy and can also be used to make rose tea. (trophy award)

I've gotten a number of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and honorable mentions, but this is the first time I'd gotten trophies. It feels good. The winning ribbons and the matching photos will go on the wall with the others. The trophy winners will be put on a different wall to stand out.

It's been a good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(deep sigh) something about flowers makes me feel peaceful. I often draw women surrounded by flowers, surrounded by floral peace hoping to make a visual depiction of peace my reality. I so love your flowers.

Austin

JBelle said...

wow! wow! wow! wow! wow!!!!!

awesome.

Anonymous said...

I still want an autographed copy of the newspaper article that I intend to sell on eBay after you become rich and rosy famous.

Seriously though, it appears your gift for growth isn't a secret. Capturing it on film means the gift is now timeless.

Austin

M. Domínguez Senra said...

Looking for photos about the rose eglanteria I have found your magnific photographies and your blog. I like your blog. This is a brief commentary from Barcelona, Spain. I'll be here from now on to learn english and to enjoy everything that is not language.
;·)