Saturday, October 06, 2007

Shopping Spree

http://www.mahoningcountyoh.gov/NR/rdonlyres/BAA006E6-8DCB-43D0-B73C-4966F098B8F7/0/1bat.jpe

This is similar to the bat house I own. I'm beginning to think the bats have found it. Always before at dusk, you could see two or three of them flying around, but this evening, there were at least a dozen, flying low near the house and shed, always headed out over the corn field to the toad pond beyond. I hope the house has found occupants.

I went tree shopping today. I have room for one more shade tree without crowding the property. I went with a list of trees that have caught my attention. White Oak, Hickory, American Beech. There was one other tree that had caught my interest some time ago, Sweet Gum. We went to the place where we got our purple (white) ash. I had been totally impressed with their trees and knew they had fields of them. We got the attention of the nursery manager and began asking questions...all kinds of questions. We walked around the nursery looking at the dug trees, noticing that there was another white ash that was outstanding but far to large for us to handle. That was to bad too. However, they had the sweet gum there, two nice trees. So then we started asking about the other trees on my list. They also had the white oak. The manager took us around in his van through the fields to the white oaks that weren't dug. He had one that was just the right size for us to handle and was really pretty to boot.

I tagged two trees, telling the manager that I'd buy only one, but needed time to decide which one I wanted. I tagged the white oak and one of the sweet gum. Now for the dilemma. I really like both trees. The white oak will grow in this area as there are many in the woods right around my home. The sweet gum is pretty much to the more northern end of it's growing zone here, none in the wild as I can see, but specimen trees grow well and strong. White oak is hard to transplant and if it's happy will encourage deer as well as pretty much every living creature into the yard with it's acorns, and this little oak had lots of acorns on it. The nuts of the sweet gum will encourage wild turkey to visit as well as squirrel and songbirds. White oak gets a nice rusty look to it's leaves in the fall. The sweet gum gets vibrant red/orange in the fall. Both trees need LOTS of space. The white oak has a 50 to 70' spread and gets just as tall; so does the sweet gum. Both are hard wood and slow growing. Both like areas where there's less polution and both are indiginous to the east coast of the US. Oh, BTW, we do have wild turkey around here.

The sweet gum is already dug; the white oak is not. I did ask the manager to ask about getting the white oak dug and when it would be the best time for that. My understanding is that these trees should be dug in the spring (unlike most other trees) to help ensure the survivial rate of the transplants. They have a deep tap root that anchors the tree and must be treated with kid's gloves for the first three years. The sweet gum is shallow rooted, but spreads the roots over an extremely large area, similar to the Tulip tree which I also have in the garden. The sweet gum will have to be staked for quite some time until the roots set it.

I'll look at the spot where it will go again tomorrow. I have room for only one. I have a red oak in the garden, but no sweet gum.

No comments: