Saturday, October 20, 2007

Tonight's Dinner

Tonight was a dinner of ham, filling, mashed potatoes and corn. There was a roll for sopping up gravy, orange drink, applesauce and a whoopie pie for dessert. Sounds yummy, eh? It sounds like a lot of starch to me! But you know, it was really quite good. It was all Amish made for the Conestoga fire department dinner. The ham drippings made the ham gravy. That has such a unique flavor and you could tell it was homemade. The potatoes too. They have a wonderful texture when they are boiled and hand smashed. It's nothing like the instant potatoes most places serve. The corn was sliced off the cob with a knife. How do I know? First you go down the cob with the knife cutting off the meat. Then you slide the knife upward across the cob to get the kernels that lay hidden close to the cob. There are corn meat, kernels and silk all mixed together when you are done. You don't find that with an y canned or frozen corn. Then there's nothing like homemade applesauce. I know, I've made it and it's a lot of work. The whoopie pies were made by Granny (a local Amish woman who has a little Amish store here in Conestoga). She probably had a large hand in the fixing of the dinner as well.

I believe I've told you before that eating Amish food in interesting and fun, but unless you were born and raised with it, it's not the type of food you should partake every day. It is a high energy food and believe me, if you're active now, start a diet of such carbs and you go like Pentium 4 in your computer. That's not an exaggeration either. You just might forget to sleep that night.

There was enough dinner for two people. Sorry, but I don't eat like the Amish, or at least I don't have the size stomach needed to eat like the Amish. But they do burn off all of those carbs. They work hard. I ended up eating the potatoes and corn and was full, so I kept the meat and filling for another meal or two. The roll was left behind. The applesauce sits in the fridge waiting for lunch on Monday and the whoopie pie is in the odds and ends basket on top the microwave for a snack or dessert sometime when I'm feeling exceptionally hungry for something chocolate. Shalimar got a nice taste of the ham and she had no problem with it. Bratley did too, and he ate his with is usual gusto.

I always get the dinners the fire department serve. They are always good, homemade by the local Amish and a nice break from my low fat rather sweet meals. And they will give me lunches for the next week.

Tomorrow is spaghetti and meatballs. I've been hungry for spaghetti and since the temperatures have cooled considerably, I think I'll simmer up some of my special Italian sauce for the dish. Yum. You're welcome to stop by for dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Let me get my plane ticket. I'll be there in a few hours.

-A-

Unknown said...

Julie, a food entry. You are close to my heart.

The description of Amish cooking is right on. And a whoopie pie for dessert, now we are talking childhood memories of the Amish.

I like your description of how to get corn off the cob with a knife. I remember that second motion with the knife, knowing it was functional but not knowing exactly why. But you are right, you captured the technique and the resulting consistency and flavor it provides.

Wish you would have had a picture of the food you described.

You don't usually see fat Amish. They are plump, but not the city kind of fat. I to don't know how the Amish do it. If I ate like an Amishman I would be fat, not plump.

Keep up the blogging - it's fun!