Sunday, April 25, 2010

A beautiful rainy day


Today was rainy and overcast. Not to worry, it was still a beautiful day. So I had to stay more indoors and do laundry and straighten up rather than be outside planting, cooking out and traipsing around the county looking at plants I really don't need.
Because of the lack of sun, it was a wonderful day to be taking pictures as well. This one is of our favorite view of the house. It's nice to see things growing in now.

I remember being so happy when the house was finally finished and we could move in. But it still felt so barren and hot, almost like a desert. It was also dry that year, one of the worst droughts we had in years. There was no grass in the garden either; nothing to make the house feel like a home and none to come any time soon.
We struggled that year with the plants that came in tow. Many of them suffered horribly as we tried to get them in the ground as we laid out our beds.


I don't know if I would have done it any other way. We had the opportunity to lay out and form the beds before the grass came the following spring. The plants were in and the mulch was spread. There was no question how we wanted the garden to be seeded.

Nearly all the garden beds we put in that first year are still the same beds you see in these pictures. Oh, there were a number of them added in the back yard especially, but most of the front one are the same beds as when we first moved in and put them there.
We had also hired a service to help us bring in the grass seed once it was planted. He helped us for two years until we felt comfortable handling the upkeep ourselves.


Times does fly when you're having fun or have a mission to accomplish. I remember when we first moved in and how I wondered if we had done the right thing and if I would ever feel comfortable in my custom home.





Now, with these pictures, I can see how things have really grown in. How lush the garden is looking and my attitude about living here has changed greatly. I love it here. I'm content and can feel the stress roll of my back whenever I come here after work or being away.
These shots were taken today and I am pleased.



No comments: