Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Busy Day

Today was one of the biggest Saturdays of the year for me. It started bright and early with a plant auction in the Conestoga Historical Society http://www.lancastercountyheritage.com/heritage/cwp/view.asp?a=627&q=464544 http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacahs/wagon.htm. There, almost as soon as I got there, they were auctioning off a beautiful 3" cal. Zalkova elm which I got for a whopping $45. That's easily a $350 tree in these parts. It was one of the first things to be auctioned off. That's why I got it so cheap. After that everything started going for much, much higher so it was time to go. From there I went to the Penn State Extension here in Lancaster, where they were having their annual native plant sale. I had been there in March for their symposium, now for their sale. I managed to get some native plants that are still waiting to be planted. I'll get there.

After that, there were trips to Home Depot and Lowe's to look at shower tile. Did I tell you that I'm remodeling the master bath so that there is a huge 2 person shower in there as well as my whirlpool? I am also putting a window above the tub that will look out to a million dollar view of the mountain as well as let in some really great southern natural light. I'd also like to put ceramic tile floor in there, as well as a ceramic tile surround around the tub. I want a new vanity with two bowls and a granite top. The shower wall will be lowered to about 6 feet to let in natural light and will also make for a great plant shelf up there. I don't want much. Anyway, while we were there, I also looked at the hanging baskets. I want two for the front porch and three or four for the patio pots. Of course, everything at Home Depot and Lowe's are so generic that I was disappointed. So, we ended up at my favorite little flower shop right here in Conestoga called Tudbinks where for half the price of Lowe's and Home Depot's generic pots, you get some of the most beautiful custom made hanging flower pots. Of course I got hanging pots for my porch and pots for inside my pation urns.

Finally getting home, I put the hanging pots in my decorative hangers on the porch and place the pots in the urns on the patio. It was time for a short break. Shortly, the neighbor lady came over and was wondering where I found those gorgeous purple flower pots that she saw all the way at the top of Green Hill Road. I use deep royal purple patunias and yellow patunias for my back patio and this year I've also added a little red patunias as well. The front is red geraniums with something dangly, this year is sweet potato vine and orange miniature patunias. Apparently these pots stood out so much that the neighbor lady saw them all the way up the hill on her way home.

Then I hand fertilized about 2/3's of my roses, made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and helped find the perfect spot for the 500 lb. elm. Now I am no ready to call it a day. I think I'll run a bath and turn on those jets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie:
Linda and Norm are at her daughters house Colleen's house and she ran across your blog when searching for tudbinks website. Mom and Norm are very interested in reading up on you and thought this was "GREAT". Wonderful flowers and notes!
Love,
Colleen, Linda, Norm, Steve & Mazelle