Sunday, May 20, 2007

Something Pretty


Barrone Provest. This is a lovely but not small Hybrid Perpetural old rose from the late 1800's. I got this plant when I visited Vintage Gardens near San Francisco and had it shipped home. The plant was one cane, quite small but bloomed well. I kept it in a pot and moved it with me where ever I went while building the house. That was in 2001. Now, the plant is an easy 6½ feet tall, just as wide. The fragrance from her hundreds of flowers wafts into my office. This plant is lovely. Not only tall, but bushy and wide and blooms quite well. Repeats well. Even though it is more disease resistant than my other Hybrid Perpetural, Frau Karl Druschki, it still wants weekly attention to keep it healthy. If you have a large spot that is crying out for a rose, this is one I would recommend. The fragrance is strong and heavenly.

No comments: