Saturday, April 24, 2010

A beautiful morning, a beautiful day

Today, instead of going to my Rose Society meeting, I decided to go to Tudbinks, a local greenhouse where I like to get my summer hangers. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Conestoga-PA/Tudbinks-greenhouses/352988283486 Their hanging pots and planters are generally a good bit cheaper than other greenhouses around and I find the quality of their plants are comparable. Besides, it's a good bit closer than most of the more popular greenhouses. They are a diamond hidden in the mountains.

I ended up spending more money there than I had anticipated. Of course. Over the years they have expanded from annuals and baskets and hangers to perennials and now a few shrubs. They have five greenhouses and two covered open areas where the shrubs and perennials are.

After leaving there with our loot; one shrub, two beautiful hangers, several veggie plants such as eggplant, cantaloupe and honeydew, and several very nice perennials we went to the Conestoga Wagon for lunch. http://www.theconestogawagon.com/ There are several small eateries here that are absolutely wonderful, but I really enjoy the food at the Conestoga Wagon; move over Ruby Tuesday's. The "Wagon" is a tiny restaurant, country store, and gas station all rolled into one - the main hub of the town as country stores were 100 years ago. Nearby there are hairdressers, antique stores and a vet's office where I take the fur kids. The Conestoga Historic Society is also right next door. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacahs/index.htm

On the way into the restaurant, I over heard a woman telling her son "You can now say you ate at the Conestoga Wagon." This struck me as funny. It seems that only a handful of folks even know that Conestoga exists. I always thought this odd with the history of this tiny village. This town is home to the Conestoga Indians before they were slaughtered by the Harrisburg's Paxton brothers as well as the pre-train form of freight delivery, the Conestoga Wagon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestoga_wagon Move over UPS. You weren't the first! Nonetheless, we rarely get visitors here. As Husband puts it "We don't even have a stop light!"

Conestoga sits in the out-of-the-way hilltops of southern Lancaster County http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conestoga,_Pennsylvania, however we are not without our benefits. We are home of the Safe Harbor Hydraulic Power facility as well as the Turkey Hill Ice Cream factory.

With all this history, you'd think that Conestoga would be better known, but I'm glad it's not. I love the openness here; the wildness of it. To sit on my deck and watch the birds and wildlife ramble through the property is quieting and wonderful. Husband mentions occasionally about selling the property. I always stare at him and then say "But you won't find another piece of heaven anywhere else." I plan on staying here a long time.

No comments: