Thursday, March 09, 2006

The New Trees

My new dogwood trees acquired at the Mid-Atlantic Garden Show last weekend. They are very young trees so I plan on keeping them in a pot until they are large enough to survive the garden. By that time I should even have a place for them.

I have the combination of patio stones we will be using to make our patio. The decorative stones are the ones we are pouring. We have 10 of them so far and need 16. The little moonface will go on a pileaster either under or above a built in light. There are two of these. I'm not sure I like the antiquing and may have to change that. I think it looks a bit to orange. We'll see. We will use one of the 24"x24" tiles for the top of the pileaster and I want to get on French Country style bowl urn to sit on top of that. It should be pretty when I'm finished with it. Oh, I did find a place that has urns in the style I'm looking for.

It's official now. Spring has sprung. My home lies beneath a main migratory lane for all kinds of geese, ducks and swans. Go here -> http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/21227. This story is about the main hotel for migratory birds. It is only minutes from my home. It isn't unusual for me to see huge flocks of geese and swans, sometime thousands of indiviuals strong fly overhead in the early mornings. I guess this is something you have to experience for yourself. Most people don't believe me when I tell them this.

Did I ever tell you the story about how I put Bratley out one morning. He ran off the deck and right into the middle of a gaggle of Canadian geese who happened to be hoofing their way through my property to the frog pond beyond. That's when I decided that the dog had a serious problem with his eyesight. How on earth can you miss those animals? Of course, with his short little legs, he was probably looking between theirs. BTW, that gander was a gander I wouldn't want to contend with. That boy was BIG!!! He was looking me square in the eye. I was glad when he decided it was time to take the girls and hurry off to the frog pond.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Julie! I don't know that we actually think Irish Fest is fun...it's really hard work! But we are grateful for the income and to see old friends if even briefly.

I'm getting ready to repot my roses to their permanent spots and realize they suffered badly from the lack of snow and winds all winter. Should I prune back all of the damaged canes to just above the healthy parts? I need to get this done ASAP because it is so warm they are going to come out of dormancy soon.

Thanks! Carmon

Anonymous said...

I really like Dogwood and have sever in my yard. My favorite is Pagoda but red twig is wonderful through the winter and adds a nice color when there's only snow. It looks like the patio will be very nice.

Anonymous said...

This is my 4th time to try and post a comment, then I'll give up. I like the patio plans. I have plans to make a winding garden path this summer using flag stone set on top of the turf and adding top soil to even it off. I think Dogwood is a real good choice. I have 3 Pagoda Dogwoods and a couple Red Twig in my yard and they are great all year round. Happy to have found your journal. Maybe you don't let the comment add right away, if that's the case please delete a few of these...sorry.

Julie said...

Janice you are right that I don't allow the posts to post right away. I have them come to me first.

Your garden path sounds lovely. We've only begun with our garden. It is 3 years old now and was a farmer's field when we first started. I have a lovely mold for pouring my own stepping stones for a path through one of our largest flower beds. We've started the stone, but have put them aside for the decorative pavers we want for the patio. Maybe someday.