Monday, March 06, 2006

March

March. The contrary month. The saying goes "In like a lion, out like a lamb." Yep. I guess you can say that March entered this year like a lion. All winter has been quite warm. March comes in with the usually gusts of winds the rawness of winter, the dryness of August and just plain down miserable. Even the little Juncos have huddled among the thick branches of the forsythia trying to escape the wind.

March is also the beginning of spring and right now, all the landscapers are putting on shows to encourage people to depart with their income tax money and ward off the cabin fever by displaying their wares and designs in preparation for the spring. It's the month I solicit my cards for summer and join the masses to view the displays put on by the landscaping companies.

All this actually began last weekend when we went to the PA Home Show in Harrisburg. This weekend was the Philadelphia Flower Show in Philadelphia and the Mid-Atlantic Garden Show in York. I worked at my job this past Saturday, a rare event, and also worked the club stand at the Mid-Atlantic Garden Show yesterday so I missed the Philadelphia Flower Show this weekend. Well, you can't have everything. Next Sunday is the Garden Expo in Harrisburg which we are planning to attend, then a week full of appointments until the Penn State Symposium in Lancaster, Saturday the 18th. Then Sunday the 19th is the Spring Home Show, again in Lancaster. Early April is the Herb and Garden Show (I don't have a date on this yet) and it is another one I'll probably be working. Then, April 22nd I have a presentation on how to photograph roses and plants in the garden. I'd say I'm a little busy.

To top it off, the weatherman is forecasting that the temps are to reach into the 70s by weekend which means I must make it a point to get outside and start prepping for the spring. All my winter pruning needs done, the grasses need cut down. Some old flowers need pulled or cut and Husband wants to start working on the patio, getting it ready for the sand bed. We also need to order the plain pavers we're not pouring.

Yes, this month's calendar is getting marked up, but I still have this week, the third week and the fourth week to work outside and get stuff done around the house, prepare for soliciting my cards and just all around getting stuff done. This pace should keep up until about the middle of June. Once we've finished with the patio the calendar should lighten up. But there is also my perennial that will be enlarged this spring, again. It should soon be finished and expand the entire width of our back yard. Then there is also the big rose garden we're planning on making. We have the grass killer ready ready to start these projects . There's not much grass there since the beetle grubs destroyed that spot last year.

While at the Garden Show yesterday, I took some time off watching the stand to shop a little. I can never go to this without purchases. I bought two white dogwood trees for $2.50 each and an obelisk for another large pot. I have one obelisk that was given to me a number of years ago, but never used it. This year I ordered two passion flowers for pots and plan on using the two oblisks I now have for them to climb on. The two dogwood trees will be potted in large pots for a couple of years or until they are ready for a spot in the garden. I also got info on a place in York that sells antique urns and fountains for my patio. Some of this stuff is breathtaking and I'm looking for a matching set of French Country urns. We stumbled across a beautiful firepit with seating at a local Home Depot that I might consider getting. It's the nicest one I've seen so far and is exactly what we want.

It's definitely a busy month but I can handle it. I like being busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Nice writeup - but no pictures? even of the nice new dogwoods?

It's rainy in CA today. Nice to know spring is coming in PA.

TEK