Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A Pretty Plant


As I look through my gardening books I keep running across the Japanese varigated willow. In each case it is reported that this bush has three seasons of interest. I have three of these plants and in my opinion, this discription isn't exactly accurate. I think this bush has four seasons of interest.

This plant starts very early such as mid March or about the same time as the forsythia. In spring, the plant starts out with the varigated leaves and new growth of a varigated pink hue. It stands out among other green or even still brown shrubs. The pink is most prominate in the early spring but the new growth will continue to be this color though it will slow down as the weather gets warmer. The plant holds it's color until the frost takes the leaves away. This is when nurseries tell you that the plant looses interest.

In my opinion, this is not the case. As you can see in this picture, the Japanese varigated willow is the large red twig bush in the foreground. When the sun is shinning, it will shine through these twigs making them glow a brilliant bright red and is the winter interest. The base of the twigs, especially the older ones are bright yellow.

This past weekend it was time to prune and shape these three lovelies in my garden. I hated to do it because I would cut off most of the beautiful red. But it had to be done or the plants will not have the summer interest that I want them to have. These plants are tough and hardy and like a severe prunning each year or they will lose their varigation and lovely pink color. They need to be seriously shaped as well or will become unruly. I find they want to become unruly even when they are heavily prunned and shaped. I prune them along with the butterfly bushes and the vitex. The butterfly bushes are ready to start now, but the vitex will not be ready for another two months, at least. Both the butterfly bushes and vitex will not bloom if not heavily prunned.

This is just my opinion and the way things are working in my garden.

No comments: