Thursday, March 23, 2006

Not such a good day


I left work early the other night because I wasn't feeling so good. It seems that a nasty bug is trying to take hold but isn't quite there yet. I'm not feeling much better today either.

Then yesterday morning, after a full night's sleep, I was feeling fairly good but still not quite energetic, so I sat to look for a picture I'd seen in one of the magazines I had laying around. I couldn't find that but noticed that Shalimar was looking over the empty side of the cuddle chair. I've always enjoyed her attentions when I'm sitting up like that. After a bit she started mewing so I looked over the edge of the chair to see she had a claw caught in the string edges of the rug at my feet. Then I realized she was really caught. I crawled off the chair to help her. She was more than just caught but actually impailed with no means of escape. She had her leg twisted all around to the point of it snapping. I grabbed her and twisted her body to match her leg and tried to untangle the string. That wasn't working so I tried to undo the knot. That wouldn't work either because she kept pulling on it. Her mews turned into screams and hisses and she again twisted her leg almost backward trying to escape. Once again I grabbed her and twisted her body to match her leg and she bit at me, not actually biting me but letting me know she was in pain. I couldn't help it but I started to cry too as I pulled up the rug and scratched her jowls to comfort her some and take the pressure off her leg. I couldn't seem to get her undone. She would quiet and as soon as I would stop, she would start pulling again, screaming again and hissing again. I kept trying to unknot the string and suddenly, she was free. Before I left her go, I check her paw and noticed that the entire claw was missing. It had been ripped off, down to the quick but the quick stayed in tact. The claw didn't bleed. She limped on it for some time, but seems fine now, but the claw is still missing. I will watch her for a few days to make sure the paw doesn't become infected. By afternoon she seemed to have completely forgotten the experience and I found her sleeping on the cuddle chair where I normally sit.

Last evening, Husband called me to tell me he was going to the hospital, stating that he had gotten his hand caught in the newspaper's press. Now, mind you, this is more than serious as this machine can remove limbs without hesitation. There was only one serious accident at the newspaper that I can recall in the past 27 years; a young man got the sleeve of his shirt hooked on a pin at one of the rollers by accident and before he could hit the stop switch the press had rolled his entire hand into it through two rollers that were for one sheet of paper. The newspaper directors called in a team of doctors from one of the best medical facilities in the country to try and save this boy's hand and wrist. They did what they could and this young man was on medical leave for two years going through some very painful surgeries and therapy to try and save his hand and wrist.

As far as my husband's injury. It was nasty but he won't loose his thumb. I think recovery will be quite a while and the doctor even told him that. Today we spent the day at the company's doctor. He was impressed that Husband went right to the hospital and had it looked at immediately. It made his job easier. The doctor's biggest concern was infection since he has an open fracture. The final assessment by the doctor was that Husband would live. However, this doctor wants to see him again next week to check on that hand and will most likely see him every week until it's healed.

I'm still not feeling all that well. The nasty virus is still trying to get a foothold. I'm still trying to keep it at bay.

2 comments:

Austin of Sundrip said...

i should say that was not a good day. sheshhh... not good at all.

i hope everyone is resting well.
talk to you soon,
Austin

Anonymous said...

ouch!

The picture of the cat is much more pleasant than the picture of the thumb!

Speedy recovery for Bob.

Hope you get back on your feet again Julie.

Could you be under the weather? The bay area just had the most days of rain in March on record! We have been have a lot of rain here lately. Perhaps we will have many more April flower now.

Tom K.