Friday, January 18, 2008

It's That Time Again

Many years ago, I went to a seminar that a local, well-known nursery was having. There were several speakers and a number of subjects that I was interested in. After the seminar, I had the opportunity to visit with Mr. Stauffer, the owner of the nursery, with a group of other gardeners. After this visit and an inspection of the nursery's back 40, Mr. Stauffer offered each of us a plant to take home.

"These plants," he said, "are good plants. It's not that they won't be nice in your garden. It's just that they don't show well in pots. If they don't show well in pots, they won't sell."

Since Husband came along with me, I had a choice of two plants. I picked out two daylilies called Barbary Corsair. I took these two tiny daylilies home and chose a spot in my very front bed along the road. Within weeks they more than doubled their size and began to bloom. What little beauties! They were 3", rich velvet plum with a lime green throat. The plants were wonderful and the flowers seemed weatherproof. I really liked it.

When we sold that property, I left those little lovelies behind thinking that I could easily replace them. Of course for years afterward, I couldn't find them. But, now I have and I plan on purchasing a couple of roots for my garden. They are the perfect color and would really match my house. I'm also planning on another called Auroa Raspberry that does appear to match Barbary Corsair with contrast.

This will be my daylilies for this year. Of course, I might have to break down and order a Barbara Mitchell daylily as well. I'll see.

It's time to start ordering what plants I want for the garden now. My roses are ordered and waiting for planting season. I've already heard from both Vintage Gardens and Roses Unlimited about my orders. More on them later.

No comments: