Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter Continuing...perennials

Finally, my last order to date was with Wayside Gardens. This possibly could be the most disappointing of all my orders, since I've had good and bad with them. I kept my order smallish, however, with the idea that I might order some other plants that I want closer to spring, or after this shipment comes and I can see what their stock is like. There have been years with Wayside that I've been impressed and other times when I wasn't. They do seem to run in cycles. Last year I was impressed.

From Wayside, I will generally get perennials. This year I ordered 3 Ajuga Black Scallop (Bugleweed). I've been getting about three of these a year for the past three years. I'm using it as a ground cover around the edges of one of my major flowerbeds. I like this plant and it's grown nicely for me over the past couple of years. I want it thick enough to prevent weeds from coming up and it's been good at this.

I also ordered 3 Hypericum 'Briggadoon'. I have one of these plants from last year and will move it to another major bed where I will use it as a ground cover. Another nice plant as a ground cover.

Then I ordered 2 Aruncus dioicus 'Goat's Beard' for the back of the large perennial bed. This plant will get about 5 feet tall and resemble the other grasses in that bed. It should fill in the edges of that bed nicely.

Then, of course, another Heuchera villosa 'Encore'. I must have about 25 of these now of different varieties but am always looking for more.

Last but not least, I found this Paeonia 'Bartzella' very interesting and want to try it. It's a new variety that is a cross between my beloved tree peony and the herbacious peony. I'm curious to see how this one grows.

For now, these are my spring orders. Now for spring to get here.

2 comments:

JBelle said...

You have ordered?! wow. We have 12 inches of snow in the front yard!

Julie said...

I sure did jbelle. With 12 inches of snow on the garden what else are you going to do? Actually, I don't have 12 inches here, but it is quite cold. I'm stuck in the house going stir crazy. Look out checkbook!