Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter Continuing...roses


I've also ordered my roses for next spring. I got these coming from two different suppliers, one of which I've ordered from before and have always been totally impressed with their stock. Vintage Roses http://www.vintagegardens.com/. This company send own-root rose slips that are strong and grow into nice bushes in one season.


There are a lot of folks who don't want to wait a year to get a rose bush, but I've found that to get the own-root slips makes for a stonger, healthier bush that is less prone to the common blights of this area. Own-root roses can live much, much longer than grafted roses. I have own-root roses in the garden that are almost 20 years old now and have been moved all around two counties while I built my home and they are stronger than ever. Most of the grafted roses I moved have since perished.


From Vintage I ordered some lovely singles, Ellen Willmott, Mrs. Oakley Fisher, Vesuvius. Until recently I didn't realize that there were more hybrid tea single roses besides Dainty Bess that is already growing nicely in my garden. From Vintage I also ordered Smoky, virus indexed variety. I find the color of this rose quite unusual, a red with a smoky haze. I'm hoping the virus indexed variety will be stronger and better producing than the one I had before.
From another company I've never ordered from before, I ordered 3 climbing roses, Dublin Bay, a beautiful red, City of York, white, and Summer Wine, peach/apricot. Even though I've never ordered from Roses Unlimited before, they don't come without a great reputation so I'm fairly confident that the own-root rose slips I get will be very nice.
I am considering ordering one more City of York from Vintage Roses so I can compare the two. Besides, I really want two of this rose and two of Summer Wine. However, Vintage doesn't sell Summer Wine.
It's beginning to look like spring is going to be a good season.

No comments: