Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter Continuing...seeds

It's 18º outside right now. This is the coldest so far this year. This is usual for these parts. Sometimes it gets even colder. But I'm near the Mason Dixon line here, surrounded by two major rivers and am usually warm compared to other parts of this same county.

We're reaching toward the end of January now. I'll have one more free weekend before the gardening fun begins. February starts the conventions and very early shows. March is completely filled now. Somewhere toward the end of March I must start finding time to get outside and start my late winter gardening chores. Things will begin to slow down by the end of April. That's when spring planting begins.

But for now, I think I have most of my garden ordering done for this spring. This year I went to a new supplier for seeds. Well, at least one I'd never ordered from before. Vermont Bean Co. From them I ordered Cranberry and Blue Lake bush beans for fresh and dried cooking, atomic red carrots, a mixture of loose leaf lettuce which we love and look forward to fresh every year. Oh, BTW, my co-workers have asked when I'd bring fresh salad greens in for a treat. I promised them and haven't done that yet.

All my seed packets I've ordered from Vermont Bean have arrived in good time and await planting when the season arrives. They are wintering in the garage where it is cool and dark. I've also ordered 25 Honeoye strawberry plants that should arrive just in time for planting. I've dedicated and entire raised bed in the garden for these little plants and will have some of the best strawberries around next year. In the meantime, I have some of last years crop frozen neatly in the downstairs freezer and they look sooooo good.

I have to admit, I've been pleased so far with Vermont Bean and hope that my strawberries come in good shape.

I'm making arrangements for a party in February. I'm planning on some light food and am thinking of making meatball sandwiches with cheese. Having the usual party food but also having some strawberry shortcake and a pumpkin treat which is my Husband's favorite, using both some of the strawberries and pumpkin that I have in the freezer. I'm looking forward to a really nice party.

No comments: