Thursday, February 16, 2006

Adventures in Cooking

Today was such a beautiful day! So beautiful in fact that I decided I wanted to cook out. The other day while rooting through the freezer, I found a steak and thought it would be nice to grill it.

I prepared the potatoes and went out to get the grill ready. I opened it and lo and behold! A mouse! Now, why wouldn't I think that there would be one? I never saw anything to indicate a mouse would be around. Usually there is a good bit of dirt and nesting material. There was none of this. But there was the mouse, walking around on top of the grilling grate. I startled the little thing and it vanished through the grate and down past the burners. I found it in the ash trap running back and forth looking for a way out. I had moved the grill away from a growing wistera to keep from scorching it. This removed the escape route for the mouse.

Every time I tried to get the mouse to try a different means of escape, it would panic and run, thus not getting anywhere. I was running out of time so decided to get the grill going and the potatoes on so I would have time to eat before heading off to work. After that, realizing that it would still get far to hot for the mouse, I kept trying to find a way for it to escape. Finally desperate, it managed to crawl down into the grease trap. There I could easily remove the grease trap. By this time the little mouse submitted to my attempts to reach him but became interested when I loosened the grease trap and took it and him away from the grill. I reached the trap down as low as possible and he jumped off heading into a world unknown. He was a brave little soul and his reward was life.

I really wasn't in the mood for roast mouse anyway and in the end, the dinner turned out delicious.

1 comment:

Austin of Sundrip said...

roasted mouse: one garlic clove unchopped, one small onion unchopped,large slices of carrot and celery a few parsley springs. wrap in foil and grill for about 3 min. let stand for 5 min before opening the foil. it'll be hot and steaming so stand back...I hear mouse is good this way but that elephant is even better. If you see an elephant on your grill please do not try to grill it. call the tabloids, there is much money to be made here.

My roommate Barney is gone for awhile and I noticed that there's a mouse trap out. I hope that it doesnt get caught until Barney returns because he needs to be here to dispose of the creature.

smiles to you,Austin