Thursday, February 09, 2006

Spring Has Sprung...

...at least under my growth lamps. Each year I try to start a few of the plants I will want out in my garden or in the flower beds. Usually some of the warmer climate plants anyway. This doesn't always happen, but I try most years. This year I planted two flats. One flat of the Texas salvia, which I love. Usually it has no problems with reseeding from year to year but the coral ones has stopped reseeding or at least they didn't reseed much at all last year. So I got a packet of seeds and started a flat of them. I just put those in with the help of Shalimar who was totally intrigued with the tiny mouse turds. She saw my total annoyance. The other flat has ten Valencia bell peppers (orange), eight Nigra hollyhocks, eight Vulcon mallow, four moonflowers and two Grandpa Otts morning glories.

This morning as I was misting the flats and checking them, I saw something that wasn't there yesterday. It was one of the Grandpa Otts http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/flowers/morningglorygrandpaotts.htm morning glories pushing out of the dirt. It's been about eight days since I've planted that flat and have been anxious to see some sort of life protruding from the brown seed starting dirt. I noticed this afternoon that the other morning glory pot has the dirt distrubed and am hoping to see the other morning glory tomorrow. I only planted two of these since it is common knowledge that morning glories don't like being transplanted (especially this variety). I have more seeds to start out side when the frost is done. But, by starting these in peat pots now, I'm hoping to get some bloom from them earlier. From the pictures, these morning glories seem exceptionally pretty and I can hardly wait to see them.

I'm also trying, again, the moon flower. http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/flowers/moonflower.html Another type of morning glory or should I say night glory but for some reason, I've never been able to get these to grow. I followed the directions in my book to soak the seeds over night in warm water. I'm still waiting to see if they grow. There is also the fact that these seeds are about three years old and that might make a difference as well. I'm still waiting. I'll let you know.

It's good to see the seeds beginning to start. It gives me hope for the spring and the garden again. I never did get ready for winter this year. I hear we're to get about 12" of snow this weekend. YUCK. At least I won't have to drive in it.

1 comment:

Austin of Sundrip said...

spring is on everyone's mind right now. my neighbor and i were picking the perfect spot for a garden this spring. spring is a little over a month away. i'm new to this house so i've been trying to get an idea of where the best place is to put plants. i've got flooding in the far corners by the fence because of all the rainfall. i've soooo got spring on my mind. cant wait. i'm so excited...

how are you doing with the death of your dear friend?
Aussie