Saturday, February 18, 2006

Did I Tell You?

A couple of weeks ago I got a phone call from a rep of the Veteran's Association. I get this call every year and every year it is someone different. Usually the fellow who calls is an older man, I can tell by the voice but this year, the voice sounded younger and stronger. These fellows will usually strike up a short conversation while plugging for a donation. Tax deductable of course.

This year, the fellow was repeating my information and he pronounced Conestoga wrong. I corrected him, repeating the pronouncation until he got it right. I asked him if he ever heard of the Congestoga wagon. He said he did but seemed a little confused at the same time when he thought they were still being made. I informed him that they were no longer in production, at least in mass, and the only way to really get a good view of them besides a museum is on the old TV westerns. I still don't think he quite knew what I was talking about. The Conestoga wagon was built here, hence the name of the town, or the name of the wagon, i.e., the chicken or the egg. I'm sure the town was named first after the Conestoga Indian tribe that was wiped out by the Paxton boys in the 1700s. The sad part of that history is the Paxton boys were from Harrisburg and came here to kill Indians. The residents of the town had a good report with the Indians and there was no need to kill them.

This area is so full of history. That's what makes it a wonderful place to visit. Some of the towns in this area, such as Strasburg and Intercourse are almost 300 years old with homes still surviving since that age. Conestoga, itself has just celebrated it's 200th birthday. My girlfriend, Sandy and her family live in their homestead that was built by her ancestors in 1784. Though the house has sustained major renovations in the past 200 or so years, it's shell has remained the same and certain parts of it cannot be improved upon. The insulation of the house, yes it has insulation, is mud and hasn't been replaced since it was built. To replace it would mean destroying the house. It is the most noticable in the basment which is constructed of rock, dirt floor and the mud placed between the floor joist and cracks of the stone foundation. You would think that insulation, though the best around, would be privy to termites and other insect pests but the house was well taken care of, especially in later years when poisons were available to get rid of such creatures.

In terms of size, the settlers thought the Conestoga wagon a bit large. In person, my first thought was it was small. I have always wondered how an entire family and all their belongings could possibly fit in one of those things. Those people had everything in them including furniture, though be it a few very personal pieces and heirloom pieces. Maybe two average sized people could stretch out side by side in one of those wagons and keep warm on a cold night. The hitch on them would be able to maintain a team of four horses, mules or oxen. The settlers traveled the entire width of the country in these things. I find that amazing.

The converstation with the Vet was short but always enjoyable. I've always found these guys sweet at least over the phone. And this one had a lot of other people to get to that day. In the end, he went away with my pledge. Whenever they call, I am reminded of all the people I've known who are vets. Some are still with me and others are now gone. Donna - Army, April - Navy, Connie - Navy, my brother Mike - Army, Gerry - Airforce, Jimmy - Army, Donny - Army, Gary - Airforce, Joseph - Army, Doug - Marines, Ron - Army Reserves (active) and Mack - Navy. Then there is sister, Cindy, one of the many doctors that watch over the health and well being of our fine veterans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie, this is fantastic!

I got home this evening, checked my 360 account and there is was, blog entry by Julie as an RSS feed on yahoo 360!

I did not realize Cindy takes care of Vets. But now I know.

As well as a long writeup about the Conestoga Wagon. Nice job.

Cousin Tom K.