Saturday, February 11, 2006

Decisions, decisions

The recent addition of an aquarium to our family is doing fine. We put the eight cherry barbs and two pygmy corys in and they are still there, quite healthy and very happy with their new home. Last weekend I added three (actually more like six plants). http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_ambulia.php This is one of them. I also added an aquatic grass and a sword plant which has taken off and now is as tall as the water line. Today I added four crustations (snails) http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Melanoides_tuberculata.php. Now the aquarium is complete and I must admit, it looks nice. The fish really appreciate the plants. They are much more comfortable being able to hide in them.

We also had decisions that we now have to make. We went to a local stoneyard, Eshbucks, to see if they had what I wanted for patio pavers. I'm taking my time with the decisions here because 1) I have the time to and 2) this is the last of our hardscape for the house and I want it to be right. I've pretty much picked out what I wanted as far as the pavers and have already ordered the decorative paver mold for the patterned piece. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll0609&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1. So now to pick out the color that I want to create these in.

At Eshbucks we found the blocks I wanted in all four sizes. The color, however, is going to be a problem. I found two different colors I liked and now for the major decisions. I knew I wanted earth tones since my house is clay and Pennsylvania brown stone. This pick is the original thought. I like the mocha pavers with the chocolate contrast for the decorative paver. Here, I found a chocolate brick to indicate the color. Of course with us making the decorative pavers, the color could and probably will be slightly different. I like these mocha pavers because of the chocolate marbled in them. It really makes them stand out.


We had decided we were finished and were getting ready to leave, wanting to get home before the snow started when I saw another paver that really caught my eye. It was a mocha with a tint of gray and charcoal swirled through it. It wasn't exactly the color that I had in mind, but it really stands out. I remembered the charcoal colored bricks from the brick patch and got one to see contrast. It is really nice. I'm thinking that since this one is off color somewhat, it will stand out a little better than the mocha and chocolate. The deck is kept a cedar color. I will probably go with the mocha and chocolate colors for the patio.

I had pretty much decided against the 24x24 blocks thinking they would be to heavy but now that I see them, they don't look to big at all for the patio. So it's back to the sketch to try and figure out a nice design so I can incorporate the 12x12 decorative stones. It will work out...It will work out.

In my ordering frenzy yesterday, I also ordered the path blocks for going through the flower beds. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4384383536&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 I will make these the same color as the decorative pavers except maybe a little lighter, more the mocha color than the chocolate, or somewhere in between. Our beds are so big that we often find paths through the plants to get to another part of the garden. Might as well put stepping stones there and make it official.

This is a major project and the last of the big hard scape projects. Well, then, yes there is a hot tub on the list of things to get but that won't be for some time. I want the garden to grow in some and get well established first.

No comments: